Getting Your Portrait Taken At My Studio
I made these videos to give you as much information as possible about what it's like working with me, how shoots go, and what you can expect.
I never understood how vulnerable it is to be photographed until I was chosen to be the subject at a workshop and had to model for 10 photographers for an hour. Being in front of a camera and putting the expression of your outward appearance in the hands of someone else can be intimidating. My favorite part of being a photographer is that moment when I can show people how I see them. For a lot of people, it's a very special experience.
A typical photoshoot can last anywhere from 2 hours to 12 hours, depending on how many locations and outfit changes we do. At the studio, we have several dresses and several outfit pieces available. We strongly recommend using a professional makeup artist and hairstylist. See our resources page for some links to our favorites. When shooting on location, at the beach or in the desert, we have a portable pop-up changing room. In the studio, every shoot is recorded with a security camera that streams to the cloud and is saved for 30 days. It's secure and I don't ever share those videos, but they are there for your protection and for mine and I will always provide a copy within 30 days to you of your own shoot if asked. I try to do whatever I can to help people feel safe. You are always free to bring a friend as well.
How to Book a Shoot
1. Reach out to me to discuss availability and concept. This is going to include the wardrobe (whether you are bringing your own or using mine), hair and makeup, and the amount of time estimated for a shoot.
2. Decide what kind of deliverables you want. This includes whether you want pictures for your website, for Instagram, for print, or for any other medium. This also includes how many photos you want. We offer a variety of packages, described below.
3. Pay the session fee. You can pay via PayPal or Venmo, but payment must be received before the shoot. The session fee covers my time for the shoot and setting everything up. It also covers the time it takes to cull the images and prepare an online gallery of your best images.
4. Review the unretouched images. I will do simple color corrections and exposure corrections and provide you with a link for you to preview the images. From there, choose the images you want me to finalize. The finalizations include skin retouching, hair corrections, cleaning up of the background, color grading, or other fixes. Each image can take anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours. I am one of three Adobe Certified Experts in San Diego County certified in Adobe Photoshop.
5. Delivery of final images. The usual turn around time is about 2 weeks. Any change to that schedule will be discussed. I do not provide unedited or raw images.
We can create custom packages, but here are the base packages the prices listed below are in addition to the session fee:
Session Fee: $500
1. Package 1 - 5 retouched images: $500 + $500 session fee
2. Package 2 - 10 retouched images: $700 + $500 session fee
3. Package 3 - 10 retouched images + 2 20"x13" prints: $750 + $500 session fee
4. Package 4 - 15 retouched images + 2 20"x30" prints: $1,000 + $500 session fee
Here is a video that a model made about the experience of working in our studio, after having been a professional full-time model for 5 years and having worked with countless photographers over the years: